MTN Uganda has introduced Mobile Money person to person transactions within the ayoba App, a feature that will enable customers to send money to each other in-app, while chatting, without having to log out of the app in order to send money.
In July this year, MTN Uganda in partnership with SIMFY AFRICA, launched ayoba, with a core aim of enabling their customers to access more affordable communication. Ayoba is an instant messaging app that is currently available to Android devices with the iOS version set to be rolled out soon.
Ayoba is a Pan African messaging platform, built by Africans for Africans. The app is available in some African languages, such as Swahili, Luganda, Hausa, isiXhosa, and Yoruba. It has end-to-end encryption to keep users’ data safe and ensure their privacy as they chat with their contacts regardless of their device or network. ayoba also has channels on sports, fashion, cooking, health, and games.
“We are happy to inform our customers that they can now send money and receive the money within the Ayoba app while they chat. They can also listen to music or play games and soon iOS device users will be able to access the Ayoba super app and become part of this revolutionary communication experience.”Susan Kayemba, the Senior Manager, MTN Digital Services
Kayemba further noted that MTN and SIMFY will continue modifying the Ayoba app to integrate all their customers’ telecommunication needs.
According to the Ayoba app developers, ayoba is not just a new platform for people to chat with each other, it is a one of a kind digital platform that elevates the concept of instant messaging to a whole new level of instant and integrated connecting
Unlike other messaging apps, with Ayoba, customers can chat (app to SMS and SMS to app) with anyone regardless of whether they have a smartphone or not, or whether they have the Ayoba app or not. MTN customers can reply to these messages on SMS even when they don’t have the app. Ayoba lets you securely send and receive text messages, voice messages, videos, images, audio and other files with any of your contacts, using your mobile internet connection. MTN customers will however not need any data (MBs) to use the service. They can use it free of charge up to 1GB of data, every month.
This innovation, underscores MTN’s leadership ambitions in innovation as it helps Africa claim its place in the IM evolution.
Key features of the ayoba app include:
- Chat now: Users can instantly send and receive text and voice messages with any of their contacts regardless of device type or network.
- Music: Users can now listen to curated playlists of their favourite music and artists on Ayoba
- Gaming: Users can play a large selection of in-app games
- FREE to use: It is free to use by MTN customers for up to 1GB every month, for every user.
- Mobile Money (send & receive): Users can now send money in-app
- Chat with everyone: Users can send SMS text messages with anyone in their contact list, regardless of whether they have Ayoba installed or not.
- Channels: Users can subscribe to channels of interest for locally relevant content across various categories.
- Local languages: Ayoba is available in the top local languages in the markets where the offering has launched.
- Security: End-to-end encryption means that messages in a conversation cannot be read by anyone else.
This is a Press Release from MTN Uganda